Study Group for Roman Pottery

Roman Pottery Bibliography

Essex: page 9

search tips   advanced search 
site search by freefind
730 Crossan, C, Smoothy, M D & Wallace, C, 'Salvage Recording of Iron Age and Roman remains at Ickleton Road, Great Chesterford, Essex', Essex Archaeol Hist, VoL 21, 1990, 11-18.
slr/cem,setllst (cem),2nd (set)
ait (Dr 1B)/sts/mvs/cts/nvc/bbl/grf/grc/gro/har/vrm/wht/hax/
haw/wcs/osd/lnd/vrf?
Seventeen vessels (including an amphora, grog-tempered ware, samian, North Gaulish White Fine Sand) salvaged from the area of a cremation cemetery known from 19th century work.
Pottery of a slightly later date, from a watching brief, is given summary treatment.
Location: Saffron Walden Museum

731 Gurney, D, '[The pottery in] The Middle Iron Age, Belgic and Early Roman Periods', in Clarke, C P, 'Late Iron Age enclosures at Kelvedon: excavations at the Doucecroft site 1985-86', Essex Archaeol Hist, VoL 19, 1988, (15-39), 33-34 & 36.
exc/twn/lst AD 
ira/nri/btb/gro
A series of small excavations to examine the extent of late Iron Age occupation, which also produced the first signs of a middle Iron Age settlement. The pottery was largely fragmented and residual, so only eleven restorable vessels are discussed. This report was completed before K A Rodwell's Kelvedon report (JRPS 3, entry no. 431) was available.
Location: Colchester & Essex Museum

732 Gurney, D, 'Roman Pottery', in Clarke, C P, 'Roman Coggeshall: excavations 1984-85', Essex Archaeol Hist, VoL 19, 1988, (47- 90), 59-64.
exc/rur,cem/lst-4th
amp/sts/cts/ets/nvc/orc/bb2/grf/grc/gro/ret/lsh/sxs/clm/buf/clb/
hax/osd
Pottery from the St Peter's School site, which included early Roman boundary features and less intensive later occupation.
Fabric and form classification as for Chelmsford (Going 1987; JRPS 2, entry no. 364).
Location: Colchester & Essex Museum

733 Gurney, D, 'Roman Pottery', in Clarke, C P, 'Roman Coggeshall: excavations 1984-85', Essex Archaeol Hist, Vol. 19, 1988, (47- 90), 76-77.
exc/rur/lst,2nd & 4th
sts/orc/grf/gry/lsh/hax/stv
Pottery from the East Street site, which included roadside ditches perhaps related to the St Peter's School site (entry no.732) features, although the evidence for an early Roman enclosure is not really as good as the report suggests. A late Roman group from the upper ditch fill is published. Roman Coggeshall is seen as a villa site.
Location: Colchester & Essex Museum

734  Huggins, P J, 'Appendix 1, Pottery', in Huggins, P J, 'Excavations in the Market Place, Waltham Abbey, Essex, 1981: The Moot Hall and Romano-British occupation', Essex Archaeol His:, Vol. 19, 1988, (196-214), 209-211.
exc,csf/rur?/lst-late 4th
amp?/tsg/clc?/nvc?/occ/bb2?/gry/har/esh/lsh/nvm/oxm/buf/
hax/osd/vrr?
As well as the material from the 1981 excavations, this appendix also discusses pottery from other sites around the Market Place and Hadham ware from Waltham Abbey and the lower Lea Valley. Rather vague.
Location: (to go to) Epping Forest District Council Museum, Waltham Abbey
    735 Jefferies, R S & Barford, P M, 'The Pottery of the Red Hills', and 'Pottery from Essex Red Hills', in Fawn, A J et at, The Red Hills of Essex. Salt-making in Antiquity, 1990, 35-36 & 73-78.
syn/rur,ind/lst BC onwards
ass/arr/sts/cts/orc/rgh/occ/blg/btb/gro/gry/esh/osd/bri
The Red Hills are the remains of late Iron Age and early Roman salterns in coastal Essex. Jefferies & Barford review the pottery dating evidence (pp35-36) and also provide more detailed comments by site (pp73-78), although these are not always very clear.
Location: Colchester & Essex Museum, Passmore Edwards Museum, Southend Museum & Chelmsford & Essex Museum

*736 Miller, T E, 'Excavations in Great Chesterford Churchyard, Essex, 1986', Proc Cambridgeshire Archaeol Soc, VoL 77, 1988, (109- 117), 115, 117.
exc/twn/---
hax/lcl/tsg
Pottery found in pits and gullies located during excavation of an area threatened by graves and tree-planting. There is no detailed discussion of the pottery, nor are there drawings or descriptions. Miller writes: "The majority of the pottery was small sherds of coarse ware typical of Romano-British domestic sites". He also notes a 4th century Hadham storage jar and a stamped mortarium, and gives a list of samian forms but no sources.
Location: Saffron Walden Museum

737
Rudling, D R, 'Late Iron Age and Roman Billericay:
excavations 1987', Essex Archaeol Hist, Vol 21, 1990, 19-47. exc/cem,set,kln/l st-4th
ait  (Dr 2-4)/ass/sts/cts/ets/clc/nvc/orc/rhn/ira/pph/bbl/bb2/
gro/gry/ret/esh/lsh/clm/esm/mhm?/oxm/vrn?/wht/hax?/haw/
wcs/osd/rsx/stv
This report presents some late Iron Age cremations and thirteen other groups of 1st and 3rd-4th century pottery. These groups were quantified, but the data does not appear in the report - no reason is given. This is nevertheless the first decent publication of Roman pottery from the district. (See p46 for problematic archaeomagnetic dating of the 1977 Buckenhams Field pottery kiln - Swan 1984, Billericay 1).
Location: ECC Archaeology Store, Chelmsford

+738 Toller, H, 'Other Pottery', in Draper, J, 'Excavations at Great Chesterford, Essex, 1953-5', Proc Cambridgeshire Archaeol Soc, Vol. 75, 1986 (publ. 1988), (3-41), 22-23 & 25-32. See also entry nos. 739 740.
exc/wlt/lst-4th
asg/clc/nvc/occ/mca/grf/grc/grg/gry/har?/esh/lsh/clb/nvs/osc/
hax/haw?/wcs/clo/rsx/vrr/lcg/lox/obb/shg/ogr (calcite)
JRP: The report was prepared in 1984/85 on excavations by F K Annable in 1953 and 1954-5. The few features which were found were mostly pits; the rest of the material is from topsoil and ploughsoil layers. The 1953 material receives rather more attention than that of 1954-5, which is noted as being "similar".
The pottery is divided into two groups, with 7 calcite (shell?) gritted wares, including 'local', and 14 'local' coarse wares which include grey and BB-types. Vessel count (total 1148) is the only method of quantification, and it is used for the 1953 material only. 33 fabrics are described, mainly by inclusions, and include Hadham and shelly wares. The finds from six pit groups are listed, and 150 vessels are illustrated.


Previous page     Return to Essex Introduction    Next page